How do I request a partial payment installment agreement with the IRS?


How do I request a partial payment installment agreement with the IRS?


If you owe $25,000 or under in taxes including penalties and interest, you can request a partial payment installment agreement with the IRS by completing a Form 9654 Installment Agreement Request by downloading it online at the IRS website and mailing it to the IRS address on your tax notice. You can also set up the payment plan by calling the IRS. You will need your social security number, and the amount of your tax liability. Be sure to indicate the amount of monthly payment that you can afford and the date you wish to make the payment. You have the option of making your payment by electronic funds withdrawal by providing your checking account number and bank routing number to the IRS either on the Form or during your telephone conversation. If you owe more than $25,000, then you will need to also complete IRS Form 433F, Collection Information Statement and mail it together with the Form 9654 Installment Agreement Request. You will receive a letter from the IRS approving your agreement or advising you whether terms need to be modified. If you wish to pay the balance on your installment agreement, you can use the Online Payment Agreement (OPA).

It is recommended that you speak with a tax attorney if you are having difficulty setting up an installment agreement with the IRS or you are being audited. The attorney can represent you and negotiate with the IRS on your behalf. You will need to sign and complete the IRS Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative Form 2848, and send it to IRS in order for the IRS to communicate with your attorney.   

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you